Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Boy Said Something...

Okay, on to other news.

This morning, after Natasha had gone to work, E came into my room while I was getting dressed. He and R like to play with all of my hair clips, and he was doing just that, when he asked a question about which of the hair ties, bands, clips and pins were Tasha's. After I answered, I asked him, "Are you sure that you're okay with Daddy being Sunny?" He said, quite intelligently (he's 6), "Definitely. She's not as angry as she used to be."

I asked, knowing the right answer, "Did she yell more when she was a boy?"

E said, "Oh yeah. She yelled a lot and now she doesn't yell much at all. That means she's happier."

I said, "That means we're all happier since she doesn't yell as much, right?"

He said, "Definitely."

He promptly stuck a clip in his short hair and spun around a few times.

The lesson here is that if you have people in your life who doubt whether or not what you are "doing" by transitioning (or accepting it if you are the spouse) is good for the kids, ask the kids. They'll tell you the truth if you let them.

3 comments:

- said...

I didn't know any of them were actually "mine" (except the green and purple flower clips...those are mine).

I love you!!!

Sarah Wilson said...

From mouths of babes. That was really precious. <3

Sarah

Unknown said...

I totally agree. My boys are 21 and 24. They totally accept Diana and have from the minute we told them 4 months ago. This was there initial response to Diana.. "You and Mom have spent our whole lives teaching us that no matter what you do in life, the most important thing is to be happy. Why wouldn't we want that for you?". I am still struggling however I get my strength from my boys.